Sunday, April 8, 2007

Roxy Gigs



As some of you know we played a few gigs at the Roxy on Sunset about a week and a half ago. I've was able to find an embedded You Tube clip and post it. It was a gig celebrating Perez Hilton's Bday. If you don't know who he is check out his website:

www.perezhilton.com

He's kinda funny, kinda spot on at times and many times just celebrity obsessed and stupid - he and his blue hair is a guilty pleasure.

Anyway, we played a few tunes from Hedwig to a less than full crowd but I'm sure the space filled up when Dita Von Teese and Ultraviolet showed up to perform. I wouldn't really know as I escaped as soon as our last song was finished. It's not the multi level potpourri of celebrity that inhabited the club that made me run but more so the underlings that always seem to follow them around. It's the desperate pretty girl wearing that just too short or just too tight mini dress she bought at Forever 21 in the Glendale Mall. Or it's the fabulous gay man wearing the just too tight little black t-shirt complimented with the new hair frosting he had done at Purple Circle in Los Feliz. And finally it's the desperate frat dude hoping the celebrity trickled down effect will engage and they may feast upon the rejected desperate pretty girl in her now rumpled Forever 21 dress.

I live with desperation on a daily basis so this carnival of LA hotspot mingling is too much for me. Or maybe it's just I suffer from panic disorder thus I can no longer partake in the fun....?

The second gig was a much more all around put together event. You Tube will not allow embedding so I can only post a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pINJ2xGyPCo

Donovan Leitch (awesome guy and singer) got a bunch of people together to perform Femmes and Phantoms. We played some Hedwig tunes and some songs from this strange 1970's cult movie directed by Brian DePalma and written by Paul Williams (yes - The Rainbow Connection - that Paul Williams). The movie was called Phantom of the Paradise. It was huge in France - and I say that seriously.

Dono and friends are creating a stage version of the movie and I'm sure it will be a huge success and end up on Broadway alongside the complicated new works the likes of Legally Blond, Grease and some jukebox musical based on the work of Styx or ELO.

Broadway musicals.....don't get me started on my love/hate relationship with them.

The Roxy gig was packed and the band rocked. Dave Navarro (also an awesome guy) and Paul Williams (didn't meet him but I'm sure is an awesome guy)got up and performed along side Donovan, Monet Mazur (a Goddess), and Mig Ayesa.

Ok - Mig Ayesa. Yes - that is - Rock Star INXS Mig Ayesa. This bitch can sing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pINJ2xGyPCo

I could only hope to pull off this song wearing a pink wig and stripped spandex. He is so very yummy. It's nice when a hot guy turns out to be as nice as he is talented. Here's a link to his website:

http://www.mig-music.com/

I think he has a CD coming out so buy it.

That's all for now. Happy Easter!

No comments: