Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Blue Nile

Tinseltown in the Rain:

Do I love you? Yes, I love you. Will we always be happy go-lucky? Do I love you? Yes, I love you. But it's easy come. It's easy go. All this talking. It's only bravado.

There's a red car in the foutain...


Downtown Lights:

Sometimes I walk away when all I wanna do -is love and hold you right. There is just one thing I can say - nobody loves you this way...

This was/is my favorite band. The Blue Nile. They have influenced Peter Gabriel, Annie Lennox and every other anglophile on the planet. They were never MTV darlings or throw off 80's one hit wonders. They wrote strange, fluid, sad and hopeful records.

I look at this video and am reminded of my ideas of beauty, edginess and sexuality. I loved and lusted after these pasty white, scottish dudes...

People write off the 80's as a cocaine filled, Reagan loving, selfish generation but I disagree. The 80's embraced androgeny, computers and perms. All beautiful things...





No comments: